Monday, April 16, 2012

2 Nephi 9:18

I have been thinking about joy lately.  Specifically as it is referred to in 2 Nephi 2:25:
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."
When I read 2 Nephi 9:18 today, I wondered if the two scriptures weren't connected.  It reads:
"...behold, the righteous, the saints of the Holy One of Israel, they who have believed in the Holy One of Israel, they who have endured the crosses of the world...they shall inherit the kingdom of God, which was prepared for them from the foundation of the world, and their joy shall be full forever."
It made me think of the "men are that they might have joy" combined with Moses 1:39:
"For behold, this is my work and my glory--to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."
It is the plan of happiness.  We come to this earth to gain bodies and learn.  The reason we do this is so that we can become like Heavenly Father and live with him again and our "joy shall be full forever."  It makes me think once again that "joy" might have some component of "peace" in it.  Peace being a feeling that our actions are in keeping with what the Lord would have us do.  Maybe that is only my definition of peace and joy.  I tend to live life with a little too much guilt weighing on me on an everyday basis, so when I feel like Heavenly Father is happy with what I am doing, and I am striving to repent as I go, I feel so much happier, with some blissful moments of joy thrown in.

No comments:

Post a Comment