Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Words of Isaiah

We have now entered what is known as the the Isaiah chapters.  In 2 Nephi 16:5 Isaiah says:
"...for mine eyes have seen the King, the Lord of Hosts."
It is one of the reasons Nephi tells us that he is writing the words of Isaiah.  In 2 Nephi 11:2-3 Nephi says:
"And now I, Nephi, write more of the words of Isaiah, for my soul delighteth in his words. For I will liken his words unto my people, and I will send them forth unto all my children, for he verily saw my Redeemer, even as I have see him.  And my brother, Jacob, also has seen him; wherefore, I will send their words forth unto my children to prove unto them that my words are true..."
It has always struck me that Nephi wrote so many of Isaiah's words when he has mentioned a number of times that it is difficult to write on the plates and therefore, he is shortening up that which he might write otherwise.  Along with his use of the words 'my soul delighteth,' this is a great testimony to us of the importance of the words of Isaiah.

That being said, the Isaiah chapters are still a bit of a mystery to me.  I got a book called Isaiah for Airheads written by John Bytheway, but haven't yet made the time to read it.  I feel like I do understand more of what is being said each time I read it and yet I am never as sure as I should be.  I think I need to pray a little harder for understanding when it comes to these important chapters.

2 comments:

  1. I've read John Bytheway's book twice. It's helpful, but....I still think that I need a urim and thummim to understand Isaiah. I love his words, and many of my favorite scriptures are written by him. I am excited for your thoughts/interpretations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear the John Bytheway book is worth the read.

    ReplyDelete