Tuesday, April 17, 2012

"We Are Living Eternal Lives"

In 2 Nephi 10:23, Jacob says:
"Therefore, cheer up your hearts, and remember that ye are free to act for yourselves--to choose the way of everlasting death or the way of eternal life."
As I read this scripture this morning, I felt many things that applied only to my life.  So, as the chapter concluded, I wondered how I might convey the emotions that this scripture stirred in me in a more general manner so that others might identify with what I was trying to say.

I knelt to say my prayers and asked for help to know what would be of use to others.  When I arose my eyes fell on the book I keep with my scriptures, Teachings of Presidents of the Church:  George Albert Smith.  I picked it up and flipped it open to the page where my bookmark rested.  The chapter the Relief Society will be studying this week is called the Immortality of the Soul.  I read these words:
"He, [President George Albert Smith], frequently reminded the Saints that 'we are living eternal lives'--that eternity doesn't begin after this life but that mortality is a crucial part of eternity." (pg. 67)
It was perfect.  The statement so clearly and concisely said what I had been feeling that I actually sighed with relief.  I have been feeling the Spirit teaching me this lesson for a while now.  I think it might even be part of my Eternal Perspective Lesson, as I call it, that began in earnest when Isaac was born.  Life is more continuous than we often realize.  The phases more natural and blending that we here in mortality can see without the help of the Spirit.  And, we have a choice.  We can choose where life goes from here.  We really can.  I don't know why it is so hard for me to believe sometimes, that I can change and overcome the 'sins that so easily beset me.'  It's hard for me to believe that I can decide not to get angry, for example.  I can forgive.  I can love those whom it might seem hard to love.  I don't have to do it alone.  In fact, the scriptures say over and over again that I can't do it alone.  Jesus Christ is the way.  His grace (divine help and strength) and atonement are the way.  I know this to be true and real and useful for me today and every day.

I feel that I must conclude in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment