Friday, April 13, 2012

No Longer Droop in Sin

I usually quote the scriptures that I am referencing, but today it I'll just be referencing a few and suggest you open a window to lds.org to look up the verses 16-35 of 2 Nephi 4.

I love this last half of chapter 4.  It is yet another reason that Nephi is one of my favorite Book of Mormon prophets.  Maybe one of the biggest reasons.  In these verses he laments his weaknesses.  Beginning in verse 17:
"Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth:  O wretched man that I am!  Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities." 
 When I read Nephi's words, I feel those things right along with him.  I wonder why I seem to make the same mistakes over and over again.  He even mentions one of my struggles in v. 27:  "Why am I angry because of mine enemy?"  Although mine is usually more like, "Why am I angry because of my family?  Why don't I show them more of the love that I feel for them?  Why, when I have been given so much knowledge from my Heavenly Father, am I not a better person than I am?"

Yes, Nephi's words definitely hit home with me, but just as I'm really getting rolling with my lamenting Nephi switches things up.  In verse 28 he says:
"Awake, my soul!  No longer droop in sin.  Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul."
Through the rest of the chapter we get to witness how Nephi relies on the Lord, right now in his hour of sorrow and always.  He trusts in him.  He asks for help.  I am very grateful to Nephi and Heavenly Father for this chapter.  It is such a help to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment