Saturday, April 14, 2012

So Very Calming

Last night I had one of those nights when I couldn't sleep because my brain wouldn't shut off.  The worries, small by themselves, were really beginning to bother me as they piled up inside my head.  I finally opened my scriptures to read.  When I came upon 2 Nephi 8:6 I felt myself phyically relaxing, and I suddenly felt better.  I was calmer, and I went to sleep shortly after.

2 Nephi 8:6 reads:
"Lift up your eyes to the heavens and look upon the earth beneath; for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment; and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner.  But my salvation shall be forever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished."
In the light of day, it struck me that a scripture referring to death like that ought not to be so very calming, but it is.  I feel calmed once again as I type it.   Eternal perspective, that's what this scripture brings with it and all the worrisome stuff of life seems to fade into the background where it belongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment