Monday, April 23, 2012

Would You Hold My Baby?

2 Nephi 27 is an Isaiah chapter that talks about the coming forth of the Book of Mormon.  Verses 19 and 20 address specific events that Isaiah wrote about years and years before they happened.  Still, with all that significance hoovering around those verses, they are most meaningful to me because they remind me of the strength and power of the Lord and how it can work in our lives.  2 Nephi 27:19-20 reads:
"Wherefore it shall come to pass, that the Lord God will deliver again the book and the words thereof to him that is not learned; and the man that is not learned shall say:  I am not learned.  Then shall the Lord God say unto him:  The learned shall not read them, for they have rejected them, and I am able to do mine own work; wherefore thou shalt read the words which I shall give unto thee."
I can remember specifically many, many times in my life when events occurred, or callings were given to me that I felt completely and utterly unequipped to handle.  I remember vividly the Lord's hand in my life during those times, helping me, not only to manage, but to flourish.  I am blown away by the Lord's attention to seemingly insignificant matters that weigh upon my mind and the mind of others around me.

When Isaac was born, I was serving as a Relief Society teacher in my ward.  When it came time for me to teach on my first Sunday back, I needed to ask someone to hold Isaac for me.  Mat was working, or teaching, or something, and so he wasn't available.  I don't remember why, but I was nervous about who I should ask.  It probably had something to do with my extra concern for him when he was a baby because of his Down syndrome and maybe the fact that I had already noticed that certain people were more at ease around him than others.  It was worrisome enough to me that I decided to pray about it.  A name immediately came to mind, and I felt I had my answer.  As I went to call the sister, I felt nervous.  Would she think I was weird to worry so much that I would call ahead of time to ask her to simply hold a baby?  I took a deep breath and called.  I explained my nervousness and how I hoped she could watch him, so I could be at ease during my lesson.  She began to cry.  Not just a little bit--a lot.  She thanked me profusely for calling and said she would love to do it.  She tried to explain to me to me a little, with halting sentences, why it meant so much to her.  I remember never fully understanding her words, but I knew one thing, Heavenly Father understood her.  He knew what she needed, and what I needed.  He does use us here on earth to answer each others prayers and do His work, but it is a privilege we can choose to take part in or not.  Sometimes it can really stretch our faith to believe we can accomplish something he has asked us to do, but that is how faith grows, by stretching it.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for helping me to stop this morning and think of how He is involved in the details of my life. What a sweet story about you and Isaac and the tender care of a loving Father. I've needed reassurance lately, and (not) surprisingly that always comes when I need it. He doesn't get tired of me asking, "Wait...I know You loved me last year, but do You still love me today?" Each time I feel those "divine tentacles" reaching for me to comfort and bring peace. My mind knows His love never ceases, but my heart needs to feel it powerfully every once in a while. He knows that about me, and He obliges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you put it: "divine tentacles."

      Delete