Friday, April 20, 2012

2 Nephi 18:11-14

In chapter 17 of 2 Nephi, another Isaiah chapter, Ephraim and Syria wage war against Judah (as the chapter heading states). Verse 2 says "Syria is confederate with Ephraim." (That will be important to know as we continue.) Now, skip ahead to chapter 18:11-14 and we read:
"For the Lord spake thus to me with a strong hand, and instructed me that I should not walk in the way of this people, saying: Say ye not, A confederacy, to all to whom this people shall say, A confederacy; neither fear ye their fear, nor be afraid. Sanctify the Lord of Hosts himself, and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread. And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling, and for a rock of offense to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem."
To help me clarify what I thought this was saying, I looked up some words that I felt I knew the meaning to already, but things weren't totally clicking for me, and I was hoping for some help understanding it exactly.

Confederacy: an alliance between persons, parties, states, etc., for some purpose.

Sanctify: to entitle to reverence or respect.

Sanctuary: any place of refuge.

Gin: a trap or snare for game.

So--I feel like the Lord was telling Isaiah that he needs not be caught up in the fear of his day. Isaiah shouldn't let the fear and upheaval surrounding them in the world, with the war going on, be what occupies him. Isaiah should be more concerned about what the Lord thinks, by what the Lord wants, and by what the Lord is asking Isaiah to do.

That's what I think it says, but I'll admit that I'm wondering if I am just projecting what I have been feeling about our own political climate of the day. I think there is something to it though. Reading Isaiah this time, I see that Nephi is writing scriptures that can be an example for us. It says in the chapter heading of 2 Nephi 20 that the "destruction of Assyria is a type of destruction of wicked at the Second Coming." It's very interesting to me.

I sometimes feel as if I should be doing more politically. I hear President Hinckley's words echo in my mind, "All that is required for evil to win is for good men to do nothing." While looking for that quote, I found a quote that supports the next thing I was going to say, what luck.

So, sometimes, I feel like I should be doing more and yet in that same moment I feel like I am doing something. I'm striving to be a righteous mother to my children. I'm trying to teach them what Heavenly Father let me know is the most important thing. When Kimball was a toddler and I prayed and asked for help in prioritizing his learning, I received the answer to put scripture reading and family prayer first. Those are the most important things I can devote myself to in regards to my family. And wouldn't that also be good for the world? The quote I found was attributed to Gordon B. Hinckley and states:
"A prominent judge was asked what we, as citizens of the countries of the world, could do to reduce crime and disobedience to law and to bring peace and contentment into our lives and into our nations. He thoughtfully replied, 'I would suggest a return to the old-fashioned practice of family prayer.'"
I suppose that is what I have learned through Isaiah's words. We need to always be more concerned about what Heavenly Father thinks than what the world is consumed with, no matter what is happening. We need to make sure we are doing as He wishes to the best of our ability. How do we know what Heavenly Father thinks?  How do we know what He wishes? We study his word given to us by ancient and modern-day prophets, and by doing so we not only learn, but we open our hearts up so that the Spirit can guide us in our lives full of chores and co-workers and family. He can help us with our everyday problems, big or small. Whether it be a child that feels like he is becoming too distant, a huge problem at work, or a broken pair of glasses that we really need fixed, right now, He is there for us. Always.



2 comments:

  1. Ambra,

    Thank you for helping me understand the Isaiah chapters. I honestly just read them because I am supposed to and usually get nothing out of them. I guess I have never really put effort into understanding because it seems so daunting. I am looking forward to using your blog as a way to begin the learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading your comment made me smile because I read it today after doing my very short post that I struggled to get done because the kids woke up earlier on this Saturday morning than they ever would on a weekday :) I really do appreciate your thanks.

      Delete