Monday, March 12, 2012

Zoram

The past few days, I have added to my scripture study by reading chapter 5 in the Teachings of the Presidents of the Church:  George Albert Smith.  The lesson was on priesthood authority.  It has some great things in there that I plan to talk to Kimball about because he will be turning 14 next month and becoming a teacher.  I enjoyed reading it except that I kept feeling a little odd about this blog in that I have absolutely no authority to be declaring anything about the scriptures.  I just love them and want to share back and forth, with people that I respect, ideas and thoughts on what we read.  So, I just want to make plenty sure that everyone knows this blog is simply stuff that would normally stay within the pages of my scripture journal and possibly be shared during family scripture reading.  I hope I never offend or confuse you, but if I do please blow it off with the thought that I just don't know what I'm talking about. :)

I am aware that the priesthood authority discussed in that chapter refers mainly to officiating in ordinences and giving blessings and I am not doing that, but still, it makes me feel better to get that off my chest.

O.K. moving on...I want to talk about Zoram, the servant of Laban.

In 1 Nephi chapter 4, Nephi slays Laban and then, pretending to be Laban, gets Zoram to bring him the plates of brass and accompany him outside the walls of the city to where his brothers are waiting.  At which point, Zoram tries to run, but is detained by Nephi.  Later on in the Book of Mormon, the Zoramites stir up a lot of trouble and they are pretty angry about how their ancestor was was treated by Nephi.  But, reading the account of Zoram in first and second Nephi, we see that he was "a true friend" to Nephi and was blessed by Lehi because of that (2 Nephi 1:30-32).  While outside the city walls of Jerusalem, Nephi told Zoram that if he came with them into the wilderness that he would be a servant no more, but a free man.  Then in 1 Nephi 16:7 we read that "...Zoram took the eldest daughter of Ishmael to wife."  So, it looks to me like Zoram got over his initial rough handling and was loyal to Nephi throughout his life.  I think it is sad that the Zoramites later twist what happened and use it to turn people against the Nephites.

2 comments:

  1. Good point. I'm never surprised when people bring up something no longer (if ever) really relevant in their lives to back up an agenda. Satan is the master craftsman of turning something positive into something negative and growing division and anger.
    Keep up the good work, Amb! I've only read your first and this entry so far, but once again, I am humbled by your knowledge and quest for all things spiritually significant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cam. You are always so supportive. I like your point. Satan is very good at twisting things and making people believe that bad is good and good is bad.

    ReplyDelete