Sunday, March 11, 2012

1 Nephi 3

Nephi is my hero.  His faith buoys my faith.  This is the chapter that contains the famous "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded..." scripture. (1Nephi 3:7)  I love this scripture, but it is not what I'm going to focus on today.

At the end of 1 Nephi chapter 3, Laman and Lemuel 'smite' their younger brothers with a rod because, basically, they are mad about how things had turned out at Laban's house and then an angel of the Lord appears.  He speaks to them about how Nephi has been chosen to be a ruler over them and then goes on to say, at the end of verse 29: "Behold ye shall go up to Jerusalem again, and the Lord will deliver Laban into your hands."

The chapter ends with this:
"And after the angel had spoken unto us, he departed.  And after the angel had departed, Laman and Lemuel again began to murmur, saying:  How is it possible that the Lord will deliver Laban into our hands?  Behold, he is a mighty man, and he can command fifty, yea, even he can slay fifty; then why not us?" (1Nephi 3:30-31)
This verse has always caused me to think--"Wow, I can't believe Laman and Lemuel didn't believe the angel!"  Their lack of faith astounded me as much as Nephi's great faith amazed me.  But, the last few times I have read the Book of Mormon, I have begun to see myself in Laman and Lemuel.  Not that I agree with them, or that I have stopped hoping I can be more like Nephi, but still, I see little similarities that cause me to stop and think.  Like with this scripture--I think that maybe Laman and Lemuel had a hard time seeing themselves as instruments in the Lord's hands.  If the angel had said, "I will deliver the plates of brass to you.  Wait here."  I'm sure they would have believed the angel capable of keeping his word.  But they lacked the faith that Heavenly Father could do good through them, therefore, He couldn't.

There have been times in my life that I have had great confidence that I could to perform those tasks which I have been assigned such as mothering, visiting teaching, and serving in my calling.  And there have been other times when I feel as though I can't accomplish anything, or at least not do it well.  I need to remember when those feelings come that much of the time it is not my skill set, or time management that is causing me the greatest difficulty.  It is probably that I am lacking in faith and I should trust that the Lord will help me as He has repeatedly said that He would.  It is then that I need to both pray harder and work harder believing that assistance will come as I go along.

3 comments:

  1. total lightbulb moment for me in another lemuelitish tendency that i have to doubt my ability to be an instrument in His hands. Love that thought. If the adversary can get us to doubt, then we cannot use our faith. Laman and Lemuel were doubters, pure and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But they lacked the faith that Heavenly Father could do good through them, therefore, He couldn't."
    I think I'm very much guilty of this at times, depending on the ebb and flow of my confidence levels. I need to work on the faith to do what I know the Lord wants me to do (and also on the ability to separate His desires for me from the other voices telling me what I should be doing).
    I wish I were more like Nephi, and less like Laman and Lemuel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete