Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Build a Ship

In 1 Nephi 17, Nephi is instruct by the Lord to build a ship.  His brothers, not surprisingly, make fun of him as he prepares to do so.  In answer to them, Nephi reminds them of the story of Moses. and then in 1 Nephi 17:51 he says:
"And now, if the Lord has such great power, and has wrought so many miracles among the children of men, how is it that he cannot instruct me, that I should build a ship?"
I find it so interesting how Nephi and other Book of Mormon prophets hold as strongly to the scriptural example of Moses and the Lord's dealings with him as I do to their example.

It is now my turn to live my life here on earth and strive for that faith with which Nephi was blessed.  If the Lord has guided Nephi to build a ship and seen his family safely to the promised land, then I tell myself as Nephi told his brothers:  How is it that he cannot instruct me to raise my family in righteous even among all the wickedness that surrounds us?  Of course he can, I just need to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment