Wednesday, March 28, 2012

1 Nephi 18

Have any of you ever noticed that Laman and Lemuel didn't stay home?

I mean, I wonder sometimes why they didn't.  Maybe back then it was more required to do what your father said?  I don't know.  I realized one day while reading along in 1Nephi that if I didn't know any better, I'd have guessed that at some point Laman and Lemuel would just refuse to go on.  It makes me think sometimes, am I on the journey, but I'm so busy whining that I'm not learning what I should?

It makes me think of the parable of the Ten Virgins...How they are all members of Christ's church, but some are foolish and some are wise.  Laman and Lemuel did go on the journey, as I have agreed to embark on my journey of church membership, motherhood, etc. and so I hope that I can shoulder what is asked of me as Nephi takes on all that is asked of him.  I am in awe that he and his family built a ship when they have never done anything like that before.  They do it because they trust in the Lord.  Even Laman and Lemuel get their act together and help.
"And it came to pass that they did worship the Lord, and did go forth with me; and we did work timbers of curious workmanship.  And the Lord did show me from time to time after what manner I should work the timbers of the ship.
Now I, Nephi, did not work the timbers after the manner which was learned by men, neither did I build the ship after the manner of men; but I built it after the manner which the Lord had shown unto me; wherefore, it was not after the manner of men."  1 Nephi 18:1-2  
Sometimes I look around my house and think, "What am I doing?  Are my actions in keeping with what I think is most important in life?"  Sometimes the answer is no.  I am more in keeping with what the world would say is important.  I think I need to build my ship not after the manner of men, but I need to pray and ask for help to build it how the Lord would have me do so.  That way, I'll know it will float.

No comments:

Post a Comment