Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Take Upon You the Name of Christ

Mosiah 5 talks about how the people experienced a might change of heart after hearing King Benjamin's words.  They said, in verse 5, "we are willing to enter into a covenant with our God to do his will, and to be obedient to his commandments in all things..."  King Benjamin responds by calling them "the children of Christ" (v.7) and saying, in verse 8, "...I would that that ye should take upon you the name of Christ, all you that have entered into the covenant with God that ye should be obedient unto the end of your lives."

It brings to mind the prayer we hear each Sunday during the sacrament:
"O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it, that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him and keep his commandments which he has given them; that they may always have his Spirit to be with them.  Amen." (Doctrine and Covenants 20:77)
We take upon us the name of Christ when we choose to be baptized.  We are reminded of this each week as we take the sacrament, so I think King Benjamin's words in Mosiah 5:9 apply to us as well as his people.  He says:
"And it shall come to pass that whosoever doeth this (enter into the covenant) shall be found at the right hand of God, for he shall know the name by which he is called; for he shall be called by the name of Christ."
Now, of course, it is not just entering into the covenant that matters, but keeping the covenant.  The real thing that struck me today is in verses 12 and 13:
"...that ye hear and know the voice by which ye shall be called, and also, the name by which he shall call you.  For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served..."
For some reason, I got an image in my mind of waiting in a crowd of people in heaven and actually being called out of the crowd with words like--"Those of you who are the children of Christ, please come this way."  Now, I want to make clear that I do not think that was a revelation of how things will be, but it got me thinking about the fact that in that scenario it would be up to me to decide if I qualified as someone who had taken Christ's name upon me.  I think that is important.  I have often felt that death and what comes after would be more like sending in an application for college.  You work hard and study all through school, you do extra-curricular activities, you list your qualifications with a hopeful heart, and then you send it in and wait anxiously to hear if you have been accepted.  You wonder if you are good enough.  I don't think that is how it is.  We should know whether we are 'good enough' to be found at the right hand of God.  We should be aware if we will know the voice by which we are called.

Many of the prophets in the Book of Mormon write with confidence that they will be with Heavenly Father and Christ soon.  They are sure they have earned their eternal reward.  I always assumed that was more of a "prophet thing," but wouldn't it be lovely if we could all have that?  I know that I have some work to do before I feel that way, but I know I'm closer than I used to be.  I suppose that is a step in the right direction.  The Atonement is the key.  Repentance and forgiveness are such blessings!  I also know I need to focus on that phrase "full purpose of heart." (Mosiah 7:33)

No comments:

Post a Comment