Friday, June 8, 2012

Mosiah 11-14

In Mosiah 11, King Noah's rule begins.  He leads the people into idolatry and in general earns the title "wicked."  This is one of the "storytelling chapters" as I think of them.  I don't know if you've noticed, but there are chapters in the Book of Mormon that tell stories and there are chapters that are almost pure doctrine, and then there are, of course, the chapters that have both.

Mosiah 12 and 13 have both as Abinadi comes on the scene and preaches to the king and his priests about the Ten Commandments.  Then, Mosiah 14 is an Isaiah chapter.  Abinadi begins to teach about Christ in the end of chapter 13 and then, although it doesn't specifically say it, I'm thinking Abinadi quotes Isaiah to them.  Interestingly, the priests quoted Isaiah to Abinadi in Mosiah 12:21-24 showing that they know the scriptures even if they, as Abinadi puts it, "have not applied [their] hearts to understanding" (Mosiah 12:27) them.

By quoting Isaiah, Abinadi is trying to point out that the wicked priests should understand that "salvation doth not come by the law alone." (Mosiah 13:28)  He is reminding them about the greatness of the Atonement.  And I must say, Isaiah does get the job done.

Mosiah 14/Isaiah 53 is a beautiful chapter speaking about what the Savior has done for us.  I feel overwhelming gratitude when I read Mosiah 14:5:
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."
I think 'chastisement of our peace' is referring to our guilt.  It's a great way to describe how guilt effects me anyway.  How odd and hard it must have been for the Savior, who had never sinned, to feel what that is like.

Reading that scripture makes me want to get down to the business of repenting.  It reminds me that Christ has already suffered so that I don't have to.  My anger, hurt, resentment, and guilt can all be taken away if I am humble and willing to take advantage of Christ's most marvelous gift of the Atonement.

No comments:

Post a Comment