Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Mosiah 21 and 22


When reading the story of how King Limhi and his people escape the Lamanites this last week, I suddenly saw it differently.  I was able to liken it to my life more clearly than I had been able to before.

Mosiah 21:5 says:
"...there was no way that they could deliver themselves out of their hands, for the Lamanites had surrounded them on every side."
In my scriptures I circled the word Lamanites and wrote in the margin--sins or afflictions.  Sometimes it feels like I am surrounded on every side by imperfections and afflictions, either caused by my own sins or by circumstances beyond my control.

The people of King Limhi, finding themselves surrounded, decided to go to war against the Lamanites.  I too have headed into the fray in the attempt to conquer all that has troubled me.  Limhi's people were defeated.  Three times in a row.  I too often feel as though I have lost the battle.

In Mosiah 21:14 something changes for the people of Limhi, it says:
"And they did humble themselves even in the depths of humility; and they did cry mightily to God; yea, even all the day long did they cry unto their God that he would deliver them out of their afflictions."
Why do I so often forget that Christ's Atonement is always there with real and true power waiting to be called upon?  Whether it be sin, affliction, sorrow, the need to forgive someone or be forgiven Christ has provided for us an infinite Atonement.

The Lord sends Ammon, and those with him, to help Limhi's people.  The people experience "exceedingly great joy." (v.24)  The Lord can also turn my frustrations into joy.

The people of Limhi come up with a plan and act.  With the help of Ammon and his brethren, they get the Lamanite guards drunk and escape into the night with all their people, flocks, and herds.  It says in Mosiah 22:16 that the Lamanites try to follow them, but lose their tracks after two days.  They lost the tracks of a whole village traveling with flocks and herds?  Sounds like divine intervention to me. 

I know the Lord will also intervene to help me escape from those things which surround me if I will humble myselves like the people of Limhi and pray "mightily."  I need to follow that humility with faith to act on promptings both big and small.  I need to be willing to leave behind that which would hinder my escape and always keep a prayer in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment