Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Record of Zeniff

Before Mosiah 9 begins there is a note that states chapters 9-22 are from the Record of Zeniff.  I somehow failed to comprehend this my first few times through the Book of Mormon which made for very confusing reading.  I wasn't too confused while reading one chapter a day, it wasn't until after I would finish this portion of the Book of Mormon that I would think back and wonder how everyone was connected and how on earth did the people go from being led by King Benjamin to being led by wicked King Noah so quickly? (Which is completely wrong thinking, by the way, King Benjamin's people are never ruled by King Noah...thought I'd clarify just in case.)

These are things I didn't comprehend until I started reading bigger chunks at a time, and my clarity was helped even more by that article I mention from the Ensign called The Mulekites.  Anyway, that being said, I do understand how this all fits together now.

Mosiah chapter 9 is taking us back to when, in the Book of Omni, Amaleki mentions "a certain number who went up into the wilderness to return to the land of Nephi."  Zeniff, who had been a spy among the Lamanites, decided he would rather join them than beat them.  He was the leader of the those who went up to try to live peaceably in the land of their fathers.  Mosiah 9 tells how the king of the Lamanites, King Laman, gave Zeniff and his people the land of Lehi-Nephi and the land of Shiblom.  The king commanded that his people leave and make room for Zeniff's people.  Now, I can't help but think this scenario might have been recognized as too good to be true, but then, hindsight is 20/20.

Zeniff writes that "it was the cunning and the craftiness of king Laman, to bring my people into bondage, that he yielded up the land that we might possess it."  The people of Zeniff were in the land for twelve years before the Lamanites messed with them, and when the first big war happened, Zeniff records that his people went to battle "in the strength of the Lord...and in one day and a night we did slay three thousand and forty-three; we did slay them even until we had driven them out of our land."  Zeniff only lost 279 of his brothren.

Mosiah 10 explains why the Lamanites hate all Nephites so much and tells of another war fought and won because Zeniff and his people trusted in the Lord.  Then, Zeniff confers the kingdom on one of his sons.  My question is:  If he had more than one son, why did he choose Noah?  I am burning with curiosity to know the answer.  I mean, Zeniff seems to be a pretty decent guy.  I like him.  I can't say I admire him, but he writes so plainly of his flaws and mistakes as well as aspirations and strengths that he seems so very human.  He conveys so much about his life in so short a time.  Two chapters--that's it.  Then he is conferring the kingdom on one of the worst king's in the Book of Mormon.  It doesn't say Noah was the eldest son, but maybe the answer is as simple as that.  Whatever the reason, the choice turned out to be a very poor one indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment