Thursday, June 28, 2012

My Eben-ezer

Lately, around the house, my husband has been whistling Come Thou Font of Every Blessing.  I love it!  It reminds me of when I was going to school at Ricks College.  I volunteered in a nursing home with some really fun guys that always went aroung humming hymns.

If you've never heard it sung by the Tabernacle Choir, it's on youtube.  It is a very pretty hymn, but one part puzzled me because I had no idea what an Ebenezer was except when referring to a man named Scrooge.  The stanza says:

"Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
hither by thy help I'm come;
and I hope, by thy good pleasure,
safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
wandering from the fold of God;
he, to rescue me from danger,
interposed his precious blood."

I looked up Ebenezer in the Bible Dictionary.  The definition says:
"Stone of help.  A stone set up by Samuel as a token of gratitutde for deliverance from the Philistines."
I thought it was interesting because I had just written about deliverence through divine help in my blog.  My blog that I started because one day I was studying the scriptures and felt such an overwhelming feeling of gratitude and excitement over what the Spirit was teaching me I just had to share it.  Yep--I suppose if one were to accept a loose translation of the word you could call this blog my Ebenezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment