Saturday, March 30, 2013

Build Your Towers

I love Alma chapter 50.  It is, for the most part, a happy and hopeful chapter.

It talks about how Moroni directed the people of Nephi to fortify themselves against the danger of the Lamanites' attacks.  Years ago, in family scripture reading, we began to liken this fortification unto ourselves by considering what Alma 50 was advising for our family.  We read verse 4...
"And he caused towers to be erected that overlooked those works of pickets, and he caused places of security to be built upon those towers, that the stones and the arrows of the Lamanites could not hurt them."
...and I hastily drew a rough sketch on a piece of paper of towers atop a wall.  On the wall was the shield that all Primary kids recognize with the letters CTR (choose the right) written on it.  On the towers we wrote FP (family prayer), FS (family scripture reading), and FHE (family home evening).  These are some of the defenses that our leaders have advised us to put in place for our families.

Then we read verse 6:
"Thus Moroni did prepare strongholds against the coming of their enemies, round about every city in all the land."
Can't you just see it?  Every family, prepared and protected to the best of our ability from that which tries to encroach and destroy us...it is a very hopeful picture that pops into my mind.

The chapter goes on, but I won't quote all the scriptures here.  I'll just record some of the jottings that I wrote in my scriptures.

Next to Alma 50: 7-8, I wrote "the drawing of the line."  Moroni clears the Lamanites out of the east wilderness and makes a straight line from east to west that divides the land of the Nephites from the Lamanites.  Each family needs to decide where their line is drawn so that it is clear where they feel the danger lies.

Next to Alma 50: 9-11, I wrote "replace dangerous things with good things."  After the Lamanites are cleared out, Moroni has the Nephites build cities in the east wilderness.

There are, of course, more wise words in this chapter, but I think you understand what I'm saying.  And I'm sure as others study this chapter, they will pick out different words that the Holy Ghost guides them to for their own families.

No comments:

Post a Comment