Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Possible

In Alma chapters 51 and 52, we see the Lamanites gaining victories over the Nephites even though Moroni drew the line between himself and his enemy, fortified his cities, and prepared to the best of his ability.  I feel it is important to realize that this is true in our lives as well.  We, none of us, are perfect.  None of us have perfect children, perfect spouses, or perfect friends.

At times, our defenses fail.  The important thing is that we don't give up the fight.  We continue to fortify against Satan's bombardment.  We continue to defend the line between us and that which would eternally harm us.  It requires repentance, as well as forgiveness of ourselves and others.  It requires hope and persistence.  And it also requires that we recognize the difference between what a sin is and what is a choice of lesser consequence.

I have noticed a trend in myself lately as I try to find more peace in my life.  I find myself often thinking:  "Calm down.  What just happened is not a big deal.  It is not a sin.  Yes, you have disappointed another person because you couldn't accomplish what they wanted from you, but you have in no way done wrong."

I think as I have learned the great value of obedience in my life, I sometimes get caught up in wanting to please everyone.  I need to remember that obedience to Heavenly Father brings more faith, more understanding, and more happiness while obedience to the whims of all those around me brings stress.

I found a quote that I love that has helped me deal with this concept of continuing to strive and do my best even amidst what I often view as my failures.  It is from the American author, Sue Bender:
"My challenge was not to do the impossible--but to learn to live with the possible."
We know that Moroni, Teancum, Lehi, and Helaman don't give up when they lose a few cities to the Lamanites.  They rally.  They plan.  They pray.  They fight.  They are guided and blessed.  We will be also.  With faith in our Savior, winning the battle is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment