Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Mosiah 29:7

As I thought yesterday about giving my children confidence in themselves a favorite scripture came to mind.  Doctrine and Covenants 121:45-46 says:
"Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon they soul as the dews from heaven.  The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever."
I think that scripture is another thing I need to remember when worrying about what is most important for my kids.  And, I need to remember that I'm in good company when I worry.  I noticed recently that King Mosiah worried about whether his son Aaron, who was heir to the throne, had truly had a lasting change of heart.  He worried that someday he might turn back to his wicked ways and demand the throne once again.  Aaron actually became a wonderfully devoted and successful missionary to the Lamanites, but his father still worried a little and it was one reason he gave for establishing judges as rulers of the people of Nephi.  In Mosiah 29:7 he says:
"And now if there should be another appointed in his stead, behold I fear there would rise contentions among you.  And who knoweth but what my son, to whom the kingdom doth belong, should turn to be angry and draw away a part of this people after him, which would cause wars and contentions among you, which would be the cause of shedding much blood and perverting the way of the Lord, yea, and destroy the souls of many people."
As my little niece said yesterday, "Parenting is hard work."  I'm very grateful that I have the scriptures to help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment