Saturday, July 14, 2012

His Spirit

I remember once, during a temple recommend interview, chatting with President Hawkins.  Upon hearing that Mat had joined the church while we were dating, he asked, "So did you convert him?"

"No," I answered, "the Spirit did."

He looked at me as if to check if I was being cute with him.  I was completely serious.

The Holy Ghost being present in our relationships with others is so important, especially within our families.

Something I read in The Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: George Albert Smith reminded me of this.  President Smith said:
"What a lovely thing it was to me when I was a child to have a father and mother sit down by the fireplace and read the Bible while we children sat on the floor..." (pg. 108)
Upon reading that passage, I thought of our scripture reading of late.  Mat has been absent much of the time and the kids have been merely enduring it.  There have been some spiritual moments with the whole family but not many.  I thought to myself how I wished that I possessed the spirit President Smith's parents had so that my children would feel like scripture reading was "a lovely thing."  Then, I realized I could.  In fact, that very spirit was with me now, conveying that realization to me.  It was the spirit of the Lord that President Smith's parents invited into their home, and I can do the same.  It was not their spirit, nor can it be my spirit that makes scripture reading "lovely," it is His Spirit, and it is available to us all.

2 comments:

  1. Ambra, well said!

    And I never knew Mat joined the church while you were dating - we have a similar story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy.

      Yep, Mat and I had to plan our wedding around his baptism date so that we could get married in the temple. We waited the year, but not much longer. It is one of the reasons our anniversary is in that crazy busy month of December.

      Delete