Monday, May 14, 2012

Jacob 5 (continued)

I realized this weekend how very far behind the ward we are in our family scripture reading of the Book of Mormon.  We never did manage to get a bookmark that had the schedule on it, and so we just read whatever we have time for and discuss what we like and are blissfully unaware.  One of my Primary kids said they were in Alma already which probably explains why one of them always knows the story we are talking about in Primary so well, they just read it with their families.  That makes me smile.

My family is still reading in Jacob, and the last part of Jacob 5 had me crying during family scripture study.  I never really think of myself as a crier, but I guess I do it more than I realize.  Anyway, the Lord of the vineyard works so hard to save his trees and at one point they are all wild/wicked.  This is the Great Apostasy.  He says the Nephites were the last good fruit left and then they turn wild as well.  Sad for them and for the Lord of the vineyard.

Jacob 5 speaks of the goal of the last grafting (the restoration and gathering of Israel in these last days) being that the tree will be one (v.68) and in verse 74 it says "like unto one body."  As we are taught to be one in the gospel, to be one in Christ.

In verse 70, it says the servants were few, and, in verse 72 it says the Lord labored with them.  I like that.

In verses 65 and 66 is says something interesting (the Lord of the vineyard is speaking):
"...ye shall not clear away the bad thereof all at once, lest the roots thereof should be too strong for the graft, and the graft thereof shall perish, and I lose the trees of my vineyard.  For it grieveth me that I should lose the trees of my vineyard: wherefore ye shall clear away the bad according as the good shall grow, that the root and the top may be equal in strength, until the good shall overcome the bad, and the bad be hewn down..."
This scripture is definitely food for thought.

Then in verses 75 and 76, it talks about the Millennium:  "...my vineyard is no more corrupted...for a long time will I lay up of the fruit of my vineyard unto mine own self against the season, which speedily cometh..."

Chapter 5 ends with verse 77 and the end of the world.  I feel kind of uncomfortable with that phrase, "the end of the world."  Why does it always conjure up in my mind images of crazy people in movies?  Perhaps because Hollywood would have us believe that the whole concept isn't real?  Regardless, let me say instead "and the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisaical glory." (Article of Faith 10)  The Lord of the vineyard speaks of evil fruit returning to the vineyard and gathering the good and the bad in order to preserve the good unto himself and cast the bad away.  "And then cometh the season and the end; and my vineyard will I cause to be burned with fire."

Whew--that chapter takes a lot of thinking, but it is undoubtedly worth it.  Yep, I would say Jacob 5 and Zenos' olive tree allegory are anything but boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment