Friday, May 25, 2012

Enos

Enos is the son of Jacob, the nephew of Nephi.  I always remind the kids I'm teaching of those relationships because, for me, it helps Enos feel more real.  He was real, of course, but we hear so little about the next few prophets that make recordings on the plates of Nephi that it is sometimes hard to feel as if we know them like we know Nephi.  It helps to try to keep things straight as to who is who.

Enos has always intrigued me.  He prays and his sins are forgiven, yet he doesn't stop there.  He is immediately concerned and prays for his brethren, the Nephites.  Once the Lord answers him on that front, he begins to pray for the Lamanites.  I have always felt like it is a guide to judge my own spiritual well-being.  Am I concerned for others enough that their names naturally occur in my prayers?  Can I sincerely pray for my enemies? 

The last verse of Enos makes more of an impact on me when I think of him as a real person, instead of a prophet of the Book of Mormon.  He says in verse 27:
"And I soon go to the place of my rest, which is with my Redeemer; for I know that in him I shall rest.  And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me:  Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father.  Amen."
I hope that I can someday feel like that.  Enos writes with such confidence.  It brings to mind Doctrine and Covenants 121:45-46 which reads:
"Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood, shall distil upon they soul as the dews from heaven.  The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever." (emphais added)

No comments:

Post a Comment