Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Thank You, Nephi

2 Nephi 33 is Nephi's farewell.  When we read it in family scripture reading a few weeks ago, I was a real bawl baby.  I was feeling kind of sheepish, when I looked up and saw that Evan had a tear in his eye as well.  He is my little softie.  I love him!

The thing that gets me about this chapter is that Nephi talks about how he isn't very good with the written word.  He says he is much better at speaking because the Holy Ghost helps so much when he's speaking.  If he is better at speaking than writing, how I would have loved to hear him speak!  But what I really want to point out, once again, is Nephi's faith.  In verse 4 he says:
"...And the words which I have written in weakness will be made strong unto them; for it persuadeth them to do good..."
He had faith that the Holy Ghost would bring his words into people's hearts as he had seen happen when he was speaking.  I hope someday I really will get to meet him like he says I will in verse 11:  "...you and I will stand face to face at his bar..."  I hope he is not just talking about people that dismissed his words.  I hope that I can meet him so I can tell him how much his words meant to me.  I hope I can meet him because I want to thank him.

2 comments:

  1. Ambra, thank you for sharing your thoughts and testimony. I love Nephi too. His "signature", as Elder Russell M. Nelson calls it, has been a driving force in my life for many years. Nephi signs off with the words, "And I must obey". There are times in my life when I have not wanted to do what I know is best for me. When I repeat the words "I must obey" it helps give me strength. The word *must* seems a bit negative, like "Oh, I HAVE to do that" but I have learned that some things don't come naturally to me. They feel hard, or foreign, but I know what I want - exaltation - and I know somewhat how to get there, and so I am in training. I have to do things that feel hard, but eventually they become easy to do..."delicious"...and it is no longer a matter of MUST but WANT. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes it is really hard to obey. I'm grateful for all the times that the Spirit has continued to prompt me when I am not doing something that I know I should do. It is through those times that I have gained the knowledge I need to know what the Spirit feels like and how, if I do obey, everything turns out OK.

      I like that signature idea. Thanks for passing it on.

      Delete