Saturday, October 19, 2013

3 Nephi 18

In 3 Nephi 18, Christ has stayed to teach the Nephites because he had compassion on them.  He has just taught them about the sacrament. (By the way, 3 Nephi 18 is a great chapter to read if you are having trouble concentrating while taking the sacrament at church.)  But today I want to focus on something else that Christ says in verses 24 and 25 which read::
"Therefore, hold up your light that it may shine unto the world.  Behold I am the light which ye shall hold up--that which ye have seen me do.  Behold ye see that I have prayed unto the Father, and ye all have witnessed.  And ye see that I have commanded that none of you should go away, but rather have commanded that ye should come unto me, that ye might feel and see; even so shall ye do unto the world; and whosoever breaketh this commandment suffereth himself to be led into temptation."
I like that so very much.  We are told so often to do missionary work, to let our light shine.  I love that this verse says that the light we hold up is Christ's light.  I guess that should be obvious, but I forget.  And so, I feel inadequate to share the gospel.  After all, I'm not perfect.  Why should anyone listen to me?

I love how Christ says we should do what we have seen him do and then goes on to explain what he means.  I have often been frustrated by the thought that we should do what Jesus would do.  How on earth can I do that? I think to myself.  I am neither that wise nor that powerful.  But I can do as Jesus says here.  I can pray to my Heavenly Father as he has taught.  I can include.  I can follow his example.

No comments:

Post a Comment