Monday, July 25, 2016

Moroni

Moroni chapters 4 and 5 contain the sacrament prayers as does Doctrine and Covenants 20 verses 77 and 79.  I guess I have never thought through that perhaps Joseph Smith got the exact wording from there.  It made me think of the many gems contained in Moroni's writing and how much we now benefit from his words.  When I read Moroni chapter 1, it seems to me that his writings were the purpose for which he was alive.  I wonder if he ever wished for the misery to end.  I mean, I know he writes that he is avoiding being killed by the Lamanites, but I can't help but think that would be a crushingly hard trial.  He is alone and in peril from the Lamanites.  He watched his countrymen and family wiped out, and yet he writes for the benefit of the people who committed those deeds--or their descendants at least.
"Wherefore, I write a few more things, contrary to that which I had supposed; for I had supposed not to have written any more; but I write a few more things, that perhaps they may be of worth unto my brethren, the Lamanites, in some future day, according to the will of the Lord." Moroni 1:4
I don't think I can express in words the effect Moroni's example has on me, or I should say, that I hope I can always remember this feeling of awe and let Moroni's example strengthen my resolve to bear up under my trials a little better and to see the world and the future with a more hopeful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment