Thursday, August 22, 2013

Questions Are Marvelous Things Part 2

As I prepared for my Relief Society lesson last week, I was searching for a quote by Elder Neal A. Maxwell and stumbled on a very fun part of the lds.org website.  You can bookmark talks and article as well as highlight quotes and keep them by signing in with your regular password.  There is room for comments and journal entries too.  So fun!  I'm sure you can do the same for the scriptures too. I just haven't tried it yet.

Anyway, I found a quote that I really liked because it went along with what I was saying about questioning being a good, maybe even necessary, way to learn the gospel.  Elder Maxwell said:

"Puzzlement, for instance, is often the knob on the door of insight. The knob must be firmly grasped and deliberately turned with faith."  (Endure It Well, General Conference April 1990)

 Of course Elder Maxwell said it better and more succinctly than I did.  I love his use of the word "puzzlement" because it suggests the moving around of pieces of knowledge until you see the bigger picture.  And it is true that faith must be demonstrated.  Without it some of the questions we have that are not answered right away can become the things that drive us away from our Father in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment