Monday, December 31, 2012

Alma 30--All Things Testify

Alma 30 is the chapter that tells us about Korihor.  Korihor went about the land preaching that there is no God and there will be no Christ.  He eventually ends up in front of Alma and I love the approach Alma takes to this.  In Alma 30:40-41 he says:
"And now what evidence have ye that there is no God, or that Christ cometh not?  I say unto you that ye have none, save it be your word only.  But, behold, I have all things as a testimony that these things are true and ye also have all these things as a testimony unto you that they are true..."
He goes onto say that the testimony of their brethren and the Holy Prophets, the scriptures, the earth, and the planets, and the motion of the earth and planets "do witness that there is a Supreme Creator." (v.44)

I love it especially because I think of the naysayers of today and how they are still using the same argument that Satan gave to Korihor.  Whenever I have heard these arguments in the past--that there is no tangible proof there is a God--I have felt on the defensive.  I look around myself and come up without something to point to.  But, truly, it is all around us.  Alma is right.  The testimony of God is everywhere and yet Alma's point did not hold much weight with Korihor, and it doesn't hold much weight today with those who don't want to see.  It seems that there is no other way to gain a real testimony but by the power of the Holy Ghost.

No comments:

Post a Comment